Old 05-06-19, 06:40 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
I've been using disc brakes a long time, long before shimano ice tech rotors ever came out, and I've never had a pad/rotor overheat to the point of failure. Everything from BB5/BB7/Spyres/HYRD/Red Hydro/Shimano RS685 with finned pads. I've used everything from original avid cleansweeps to icetech rotors and just about everything inbetween. For both road and mountain. I guess I find it weird that some here claim that its a noticeable performance difference with ice tech rotors and yet pros are running sram discs at pro levels without an overheating issue from gravel to cyclocross to road applications. Campy too at some conti levels. I like icetech rotors mostly because they seem to stay true a bit longer but I've never had a performance failure in the field from my rotors. Pads yes, organic pads in muddy cyclocross races barely last the entire 45 mins etc but never rotors.
Ok, since it hasn't happened to you then you don't need the extra performance. End of discussion. Does that mean the issue does not exist? No. Did I imagine my brake lever pull all the way to the bars and still not slow me down? Push your limits and see how you and your gear holds up.

Back to the pro rider analogy, lol. What type of pro, sponsored or self supported? How many pro riders have you personally spoken with about brake rotor heat issues?

Do you think a pro rider is harder on the brakes than someone who obliviously rides the brakes down every hill they ride? What if they weigh over 200 lbs, far beyond what a pro weighs?

Too many variables here to make a definitive argument. We can speak of our own experiences but the rest is speculation and hearsay. Everyone has their own experience.

Last edited by Bryan C.; 05-06-19 at 06:47 PM.