canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
I think we're discussing two different kinds of falls.
The original intent of the thread was the 0-mph can't-get-my-foot-out-at-the-stoplight tumble or, 'Tombay' if you will. Also happens when you 'stall out' on a steep hill; happens often in MTB'ing, esp if you ride clipless. There's always a little bit of warning, so you can set up...
True, dat. I've had a couple of low- and no-speed tumbles where I actually had time to mentally plot an arc and pick a nice soft spot, or least painful spot, to land.

My first (and so far only) Tombay was my second week with clipless, at the MUP. I was rolling slowly from the groomed gravel/chat trail to the paved trail, separated by a 10 yard wide strip of grass. I checked both directions, realized the jogger and two slow moving cyclists converging from opposite directions, meant I'd need to stop for a moment. I forgot I was clipped in. Seems like I had plenty of time to choose which direction to fall, and oops I'd better avoid that fire ant bed, oh, hey, that spot looks nice, *bloomp!*

Originally Posted by noimagination
Really? Once a year? I've fallen once in, what, 25+ years of riding clipless. I've come close a few times, but if you're falling that often you might want to change something.
I hardly ever see any friends or acquaintances tumble, although they all claim they did once or twice the first month with clipless. They're mostly younger than I.

But on large casual group rides I see the same folks fall just about every time. Seems like it's the folks my age or older.

I'm 60 and only began with clipless this year, although I rode with old style strap in toe clips years ago. Clipless is a much better form of foot retention. But if I fell more than two or three times a year I'd be forced to conclude my reflexes and balance were too impaired by age to continue using foot retention, at least on most city streets.

In fact, after switching my road bike to clipless in January or February, I rode only solo rural routes with little or no traffic for the first month. After gaining some confidence I tried one casual group ride in the city and decided I didn't care for my clipless setup for that purpose. For one thing, I prefer my upright hybrid for city rides. For another, my Look delta cleats are slippery rascals, not really suitable for routine city rides. And I did a couple of fast club group rides that were okay -- not many stops, so the cleats weren't a problem.

But I can see why most folks I know prefer the clipless systems with recessed cleats and shoes suitable for walking.