Old 02-26-20, 11:48 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
They are Scott DH bars. They came with a shim to go from 24 to 26 mm.

I got one once in a pile of stuff that came as a lot. I gave them away at the white elephant gift exchange at my racing club's winter party. You know the kind with the rule that as each person's number is called, they can either take a new wrapped present off the pile, or steal any one of the presents that have already been unwrapped. Then the person whose present has been stolen can go again. Desirable presents got stolen over and over until the last person's turn. No one ever stole the Scott bars! I'd have to describe it as a gag gift. We were a bunch of roadies though -- might have been different if we were triathletes.
The Scott DH might have gotten nabbed at the party, if someone had gotten a Profile Aero III. The Scott DH sold for $69.50 when they were introduced in 1988.

The Scott DH, similar Profile Aero I and more convoluted Aero III served a purpose in that they were UCI compliant. At the time, there was a rule stating that aerodynamic equipment was illegal is they provided solely an aerodynamic benefit. However, if the aero portion was integral with the portion of the bar used during non-aero ridng the bars were legal, as you couldn't steer the bicycle without them. Conversely, a clip-on aero bar was technically illegal, though the UCI and TDF officals decided to look the other way when Lemond used them in the 1989 TdF.

The colours are off in the attached Aero III pic. Try to imagine them in a bright neon yellow. This is also one of the few angles where they look half way decent, as it tends to minimize all the twists and turns.
Likes For T-Mar: