Old 03-04-20, 05:01 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
This is a very unique and super cool Colnago. I am thinking it is carbon frame....anyone beg to differ? It is a beautiful design. The black and yellow color scheme is nice and the gold cranks match and fit here. Normally I do not like gold plated stuff because either it tends to flake eventually or it looks gaudy. Anyone have any knowledge on gold plated parts and the history of it? Or how long the gold plating lasts? I need some knowledge on this from you in the know in the forum. The disc wheels are decorated in a unique way that fits also. The handlebar system is nice too. Overall a special bike. It is so important that all the pieces of a bike match and fit together in terms of style. Many people that make their own builds get this aspect wrong......not all....but many.
The subject bicycle is a Colnago C42. It is a carbon fibre frame. One of them surfaced on the forums a couple of months ago and you could read the 'carbon fiber' decal on the chain stay.

Regarding gold plating, the practice goes back to the early days of cycling in the 1890s. At the time, bicycles were advanced technology, very expensive and very popular. Circa 1895, a Columbia would cost an average labourer 3 months wages but that did not stop record sales. Given the status of bicycles at the time, some manufacturers created a showcase model to further their marque's prestige. They often featured exotic materials and finishes (see attached pics)

In the very late 1930s CCM gave gold plated versions of their top of the line Flyer model to several prominent racers whom had represented the company during the inter-war years, the most famous being Torchy Peden.

I believe there is a forum thread titled something along the lines of "Are You a Gold Member?', featuring lots of pictures of gold anodized and gold plated frames and components.

Likes For T-Mar: