View Single Post
Old 11-06-20, 05:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 4,009 Times in 2,676 Posts
I think Park Tool makes some decent stuff here and there especially on the bicycle specific side and for a shop. They also make some great innovative products to make it easier for people in a shop setting to do tasks without having to reach for multiple tools or clamp things and their Rolling Big Blue is great for someone who wants to travel and carry a lot of tools but may not want to go full custom Pelican rig. Though some of the panels aren't quite doing it for me and how I wanted to set up but I will figure it out.

For more generic tools I would go with Wera, Snap-On, Beta, PB Swiss... Allen keys/hex wrenches should be top quality, don't go cheap on a tool that will get used a lot. My favorites are in order PB Swiss, Silca and Wera (I don't yet own the PB Swiss Allen set but own Wera and two Silca sets) You as a home mechanic might find a set of T handle wrenches to be pretty super and if weight is not a concern the Park Tool Silding Hex set is nice but if you want something lighter, Beta is probably the lightest that is of high quality and used by a lot of mechanics, PB Swiss also makes some that are nice and Pedro's makes a decent set for cheaper. Wera and Beta also do some bike specific tools as well or at least more geared towards bikes.

I will say the Park Tool DSD-2 is probably my favorite cross-tip screwdriver out there. I don't know that I could wish for a better one. There whole line up up derailleur specific screwdrivers is really excellent. It has really been a shame that most of the bike tool companies haven't gone for a JIS compatible screwdriver even though that is what Shimano has used for at least as long as I can think of.

My philosophy on tools is buy the absolute best you can each and every time unless you are 100% sure you will never ever need that tool again and the tool you have purchased will do the one job well enough to not damage anything. Yes Snap-On ain't cheap but some of their stuff is super nice to work with, same thing with the Abbey tools I have bought and some other stuff that is in the pipeline. When you hold a quality tool in your hand you know it, and feel it and want to use it again and again. There is something magical to it and cheap tools just don't do it. To all of that as well don't buy tool sets, buy stuff individually and get what will work best for you. If I were opening a shop and needed a shop set of tools I might consider Park or Pedro's full sets but on my own I want to find the best tools for me and one might be Snap-On, one might be Park another might be Pedro's...

It is almost like building a bike some bikes have some great components on it but I want to change bars and bottom bracket and crank and this and that. So it makes more sense to get the frame and start from the ground up, yes it may cost a little more but it will get me to what I want rather than having duplicates but one is something I don't need or want.

billnuke1 : Please remind me to take pictures of my box...not fully completed but has been working nicely. Big Blue is awesome. We should probably do a show us your tool box thread with a breakdown of tools, that could be fun.