Old 07-07-18, 09:15 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I'd peg fault at about 50-50.

Trucker should have seen bicycle and yielded, but not seeing someone is pretty much inevitable considering the size of these things, so I don't fault the driver, I doubt the move was intentional.

Cyclist had a clear view of everything unfolding during the entire incident, yet failed to react when the truck began signaling (I would have slowed and started getting behind it) and then keeps going once she sees the turn begin, stopping only just short of the passing wheels, not anticipating that they will come closer to her as the truck is turning. I could stage incidents like this all day long in city traffic, it would not be at all difficult.

Cyclist could have prevented all of this by exercising a little common sense, but trucker will probably have to pay for the bike, I would expect. I actually blame the cyclist more than the trucker, since she had a clear view of everything at all times, and could have easily prevented all of this by using some basic "look 5 seconds into the future and anticipate what might happen" skills. But it wasn't his ox that was gored this time, it was the cyclist.

Last edited by Colnago Mixte; 07-07-18 at 09:19 AM.