Old 07-09-19, 10:49 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
haha...I'm aware, and although I discreetly lust after many bikes I've learned that prefer riding to maintaining so I keep my bike count down on purpose (one "road", one MTB, one SS).

Replacing my Tricross, I'd probably get a gravel type bike and two wheelsets to easily swap tire sizes depending on my planned ride. More or less the same purpose as the Tricross - which would either sit in a corner or be repurposed in some way.
No idea but Tricross gang represent! I've got a 2008 (?) tricross expert that I bought as a frame in 2016 and built up with parts mostly cannibalized from a steel frame that I broke. According to Strava I've only got 12k miles on it. 800 of those miles came from four of my five Dirty Kanza 200 rides.

It still seems solid. If I were to replace it, it would be because of a) I finally had saved enough money and/or paid off my student loans, b) I want something with disc brakes, c) I'd like something with more tire clearance, and d) I'd like something with a little more stable geometry. I've found it to be a little sketchy on the descents.

But good lord has it been a solid dependable bike. Not bad for something I bought in something of an emergency situation.

Also, severely underrated frame. Kind of ahead of its time--with rack and fender mounts, clearance for wider tires (I've got 38s but I think you could squeeze 42s in there) and the third bottle cage mount. Most CX bikes at the time did not have those things.