Old 08-16-20, 09:06 PM
City Guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Hi all,

Well this a timely thread. I have spent this weekend installing a Shimano Ultegra R8000 groupset on a Giant TCR. The front derailleur is the R8000. I'm running 52./36 chain rings and an 11--30 cassette. All new parts and a new Ultegra 11 speed chain. I will be the first to admit I'm no professional bike mechanic, but know my way around the basics and collected a good set of tools, and good at read and follow instructions. In my opinion, the Shimano R8000 Front Derailleur Dealer Manual, is excellent. I installed the FD per the instructions in the Shimano Dealer manual. I have spent many hours this past weekend attempting to properly setup the FD. I have been unable to setup the FD without either significant chain rub on the big or small ring, i.e. perfect small ring, chain rub on big ring, and vice-versa. I have followed the step-by-step instructions meticulously, alignment with front chain ring, using the small screw to bring FD cage back into alignment with chain ring, H and L screws set per the instructions, etc. etc.
Considering that I could have missed a step, this morning I removed the FD and started the setup all over from the beginning, same results. I have verified the cable tension marks were aligned with the the STI shifter in the top trim position. No better on second attempt.
I have a couple of questions.
When attaching the cable to the FD and removing any slack, does it matter what position the STI shift lever is set to? This is before setting the top trim and aligning the cable tension marks in following steps. Or should I be attaching the cable and removing slack with the STIL shift lever already in the top trim position. The DM does not indicate which position for removing slack, attaching cable and setting tension, unless I missed it or so obvious maybe not worth mentioning, but for a noob like myself...
On my setup I noticed that after trying some different approaches I discovered the following. When setup per the instructions, setting the top trim moves the cage an expected amount, however when setting the bottom trim the cage does not appear to move at all, perhaps a very slight, apparently ineffective amount.
Any idea?? Thought, comments, suggestions, critiques, appreciated and encouraged.
One more thing is a defective STI shift lever a possibility worth considering. I believe Shimano has a high level of quality control and would think this would be unlikely.
Is it possible that given the gearing I'm running that certain cross-chain combinations will simply not be possible without chain rub?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by City Guy; 08-16-20 at 10:14 PM.