Old 01-21-21, 08:31 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked 4,992 Times in 1,777 Posts
Originally Posted by LaVieClaire86
Please forgive the rookie questions, @jamesdak, but is that a CF fork on your beautiful Serotta CSI? I'd also like to know if and why you employ Campy components?

As brand loyal as some folks get, I don't want to start some kind of flame war, but I'd really like to know something about the modern componentry options out there. I was happy with my Shimano stuff, but that was also a long time ago.
It is a carbon fiber fork. A very over-engineered one according to David Kirk, one of Serotta's premier builders back in the day. This has Campagnolo on it simply because that's what it had when I bought it. I'm not a brand elitist but do prefer Campagnolo over Shimano. That said, it's all good stuff and I run all brands on my bikes. Well except SRAM. I've never had a SRAM equipped bike of any sort in all my years.

In fact I just did a quick count of my current stable and what each bike has. I currently have 34 bikes up and running. 20 are Shimano, 12 are Campagnolo, 1 is Suntour, and 1 is Huret, Dia Compe, Stronglight.

Off the top of my head I have two 10 speed Campagnolo groups, an Ultegra 9 speed triple group, two Shimano 7400 8 speed groups and a Dura Ace 9 Speed group on hand right now for the last couple of frames I have to build up. I will also say that I have bought around 8 or so brand new Campagnolo group sets over the recent years that ranged from Athena to Super Record. I have not bought any brand new Shimano Groupsets. That may tell you where my preferences lay also.