Old 01-21-21, 11:56 AM
LaVieClaire86

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
More rookie questions

Originally Posted by jamesdak
It is a carbon fiber fork. A very over-engineered one according to David Kirk, one of Serotta's premier builders back in the day. This has Campagnolo on it simply because that's what it had when I bought it. I'm not a brand elitist but do prefer Campagnolo over Shimano. That said, it's all good stuff and I run all brands on my bikes. Well except SRAM. I've never had a SRAM equipped bike of any sort in all my years.

In fact I just did a quick count of my current stable and what each bike has. I currently have 34 bikes up and running. 20 are Shimano, 12 are Campagnolo, 1 is Suntour, and 1 is Huret, Dia Compe, Stronglight.

Off the top of my head I have two 10 speed Campagnolo groups, an Ultegra 9 speed triple group, two Shimano 7400 8 speed groups and a Dura Ace 9 Speed group on hand right now for the last couple of frames I have to build up. I will also say that I have bought around 8 or so brand new Campagnolo group sets over the recent years that ranged from Athena to Super Record. I have not bought any brand new Shimano Groupsets. That may tell you where my preferences lay also.
Jamesdak ~ It seems obvious to me that you're pretty heavy into building up bikes. Are you strictly into vintage bikes? Based on some of what I've read/seen lately, it would seem that one would have to have a "modern" frame to employ advancements such as disc brakes. If I'm correct, are there other changes to frame design that were developed due to advancements in componentry? I'm sure that this will come off as a real greenhorn question, but is it possible to base a build on an older steel frame and still get the benefits of modern mechanical features like disc brakes?