View Single Post
Old 07-26-21, 03:50 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
2 year update

2 year update. The townie is still holding up quite well. It gets ridden on a lot of rough paths (baby heads and gravel equestrian paths) At least 2000 miles in total.
Battery is still handling the same range (25+ miles). Wheels are still true (never adjusted). Bike is loaded with 2 full paniers and a dog in a milk crate on the front, mounted on an Origin8 porteur rack. (about 35 lbs total gear and dog)

One time the headset came a little bit loose. Once tightened, it hasn't come loose since.
I upgraded the cable pull brakes to hydraulic. I had a set of take-offs laying around and the LBS installed them for under $50
I changed the tires to Schwalbe Big Apples. Same size tire, never gets flats and grips the loose debris ridden paths much better. Ride is much better too.
The Trek store swapped out a dead battery charger about 6 months into the bike.
I swapped out he Tourney derailleur for a Deore. The tourney didn't have enough tension to keep the chain from dropping,

Still can't complain. My wife rides her bike with dog in basket 3-5 days a week. Her only complaint is the tight clearance for the water bottle cage.

Last edited by restlessswind; 07-26-21 at 04:02 PM.
Likes For restlessswind: