Old 12-22-15, 04:41 PM
RomansFiveEight

Bikes: Nashbar CR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Prestige comes in various grades. I think it is extremely common for high-end bikes to be bought because they are high-end, rather than because the buyer can genuinely discern any difference in performance between the top of the range and the run-of-the-mill.

As far as difference in attitudes at different ages is concerned, my experience is that old people are just as likely as young people to be dazzled by bling.
Sure. Brand matters. Good lord, just talk about saddles or cycling computers or shifters or pedals. People really get caught up in it.

Originally Posted by TriDanny47
It matters to me too. I guarantee I will never be a pro, I am surprised at how well I can ride given my overall health situation (my VO2 Max range has been 19 to 26, the mean being about 22). I have trouble with power but surprisingly good endurance. Running and swimming are harder, I get out of breath which brings waves of nausea. I push myself because I want to be better tomorrow than I am today - in all areas of my life. I'm not willing to settle for settling. I've seen that in all strata of society, not appealing to me.

I feel like I have five to ten years left to live - doctors say "we don't know" and are more optimistic - and new drugs for my condition, a chronic form of leukemia, mean they are probably right. Right now overall things are good medically given the totality of my circumstances. But I've always had a bad feeling from day one about this, and feel like the clock is ticking away.

Cycling is one of the things that has kept me motivated to move forward. It would be easier not to at times and just give in to this thing. If buying the next cool new cycling toy or just a jersey that catches my eye at the LBS keeps me moving forward with my plan, why not?
Thank you for sharing. What a great story. Prayers for comfort and stability!