Old 12-22-15, 04:51 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Prestige comes in various grades. I think it is extremely common for high-end bikes to be bought because they are high-end, rather than because the buyer can genuinely discern any difference in performance between the top of the range and the run-of-the-mill.

As far as difference in attitudes at different ages is concerned, my experience is that old people are just as likely as young people to be dazzled by bling.
We can disagree on some points here.

You say it is extremely common that high end bikes are bought because they are high end bikes. This could be a common belief that some folks hold because people say it, not because there is evidence or proof. People used to think the earth was flat.

The performance difference does drop slower than the price increases, so each person needs to make their own decisions regarding these diverging curves.

Old guys may look at shiny objects just as quickly as younger guys, just like we look at hot younger woman. However, with age, I believe we have learned to think through the cost-benefit analysis a little more closely.

Just my thoughts, given neither of us, nor anyone here, has provided more than their own thoughts.