Old 08-12-19, 11:27 AM
Schwinnhund
Gearhead

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, Sun EZ-1 Recumbent, Cannondale R-400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Wow. I guess I need to pay more attention when I am out. I've been riding bicycles for over 45 years, mostly as transportation, and still do at age 60. I'm not fast, and never tried to be. Success is getting to your destination in one piece (more or less). Most of the time, you would find me riding in street clothes on an old Huffy, or a low-end Schwinn. I have 9 bicycles, the newest being over 30 years old. I am perfectly happy with the way I ride, and what I ride.

I was not aware there was any controversy. I meet people wearing the lycra billboard clothes on new bikes all the time, and we usually wave at each other, admire each other's bikes, and sometimes even stop for a bite and talk. I've never experienced any 'snobbery', even at organized rides. In fact, everyone I've met has been very helpful. Bicyclists are some of the finest people I have ever met.

I think there is room for everyone. There's a lot of road out there, and if you want to ride like greased lighting, more power to you. As long as no one is forcing you to do something you don't want to, I don't see the problem. Is it possible that maybe it could be the concerned party's attitude? It's been my experience that animosity breeds animosity.

Just my opinion. I don't have a dog in this hunt.