View Single Post
Old 07-28-20, 08:51 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Campy Chorus 10 speed 12x30 with an 11 speed 50/34 crank. No other brands mixed in.

1. In the cross little little cross chain, the line is far enough off that it tries to shift into the big ring. The next up is noisy but doesnt force a shift. Per Campy, the UT crank will work up to 68.8mm. I can add up to .8mm of spacers on the drive side cup. Since .5 is all that's readily available, that's probably all I'll move it. Probably won't correct the problem but will reduce it. Due to the construction of the spider on the crank, it would not be possible to shim the rings out.
Running a 10 speed chain with an 11 speed crank spaced for a narrower chain you can expect that, especially with short chain stays. I had chain rub on the last few cogs when I tried to pair an FSA "9 and 10 speed compatible" crank with a C9 chain until I shimmed the big ring out to 9 speed spacing.

Wheels Manufacturing, Origin 8, and LeTour all make 0.5mm shims that provide clearance for a chain made for one cog less - 9 speed chain on 10 speed crank, 10 speed chain on 11 speed crank, etc. Campagnolo briefly did too during the short 9-10 speed transition.

Alternatively you could run 11 speed chains; although one set of shims will cost less and not render your chain stockpile obsolete.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 07-28-20 at 08:58 PM.