View Single Post
Old 10-12-19, 06:32 PM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Good for you for writing down and saving your measurements. I need to do that! What if my bikes were all stolen? Well, I think I could recreate it all by feel, but still.

I doubt that saddle setback on a safety bicycle has anything to do with it. I always point out: "Ever try to measure saddle setback on a recumbent?" Those riders seem to do just fine without measuring KOPS.

Saddle setback is about balance, which is to say, weight on the hands. Move it back to reduce, forward to increase. What changes with fore-and-aft adjustment is really hip angle and center of gravity. It's actually all the other way 'round: the standard forward lean of the road position combined with KOPS and correct knee angle (saddle height) yields the usually advised hip angle. If you want a TT position, the saddle moves way forward and thus KOPS is totally out of the question. However TT and tri riders do just fine that way. Similarly, if one wants to sit upright, the BB and pedals can be moved way forward if that's desired, see foot-forward comfort bikes: Fuji Bikes | Barnebey for instance.
Saddle fore/aft also impacts whether you are using your quads or hamstrings more.
Further back, more hamstrings being used.
KOPS is a nonsense though, outside of a very basic way of sorting out fore/aft and saddle height.
But most people run their saddles too high, because most fitters these days seem to fit people too high.
I have even had fitters tell me I bought too small a bike.