View Single Post
Old 11-22-19, 02:13 AM
ruudlaff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I'm at the commitment point. I rarely make large cycling purchases, and plunging into track will be my first big investment ($4000?) since 2008, and basically my largest ever purchase for bike equipment (In 2008 I spent $4800 on a new SRM equipped bike but recouped about $1000 selling stuff off of it). My focus is on the frame/fork/etc, the rear wheel, SRM (upgrade or something - I have one left), track drop bar, and track aero bars. I think I'll need a stem, maybe two, and I ought to get one more ISM saddle. And a set of training wheels, but I could lace over a rim onto my current good rear wheel (Suntour Superbe rear hub) and use whatever front wheel.

The decision is between the Dolan DF4 (57) and the Dixie Flyer (56), and I'm leaning heavily to one.

Dixie - I've exchanged a few emails with Bobby so I feel like there's a bit of personal investment there. On the other hand I feel like the frame isn't optimized overall, like I'd want a couple things changed. It's small stuff but remember, I don't think I'll ever buy another track frame, or if I do, it might be in 10 years. The frame is a bit shorter in length than my road bike, based on STA and TT length. Dixie is 74 STA, 56 TT.

(Reminder, my road bike is 75.5 STA, 56.5 TT, with a 14.5 stem, 12 cm reach / 8 cm drop bars.)

Dolan - The DF4 is the same price, within $20 (shipped) at the current exchange rate, so basically no difference. A couple key features really appeal to me - the aero seat post, the more integrated fit of the seat tube in front of the rear wheel, and the steeper STA and longer TT (74.5 and 57 respectively). It also seems a bit more complete, more engineered, compared to the Dixie.

My one concern with the DF4 is being able to get the saddle far enough forward - I'd want to be able to legally max out an ISM in the forward position, i.e. zero setback on an ISM. I'm not sure if that's possible, and it's not like I can use a different post. However, looking at the pictures, it looks like it'd be possible or at least very close.
I can check the zero setback question at the weekend if you wish? I use a spesh power, looks roughly about the same length as the ISM