View Single Post
Old 11-28-20, 06:41 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
A lot of the advice in this thread has been pretty good. You can lose weight by riding 0km and controlling your diet.

Riding anaerobically (high output) will burn calories faster but will also cause you to fatigue more quickly ; additionally, this results in the consumption of your muscle+liver glycogen (Your body's accessible short-term reserves of carbs/sugars). When these get burned, it will trigger you to replace those calories with other carbs.

On the opposite side, riding slower and over a longer distance will contribute to more lipolysis, the burning of fat for fuel. In this way, you can ride longer distances if that's something you're interested in.

I can out-eat a 2-hour ride, but if I do 10-12 hour rides (5-10k calories) I find my appetite ramping up over 4-5 days.

This isn't a healthy way to lose weight, but I hope some of this information helps you to better structure your weight loss plan.

At the end of the day, you need to burn more calories than you're ingesting. If you only restrict your diet, I would argue that you're also limiting the amount of micronutrients, vitamins and minerals. You're better off eating normally and increasing your activity, whilst maintaining the same intake.

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Whatever you do, you need to make sure that you're burning up the sugar that's inside your body, if you don't burn all that sugar it will turn to fat.
No. Just no.