View Single Post
Old 08-06-18, 11:13 PM
Mark VerMurlen

Bikes: Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a similar experience 3 months ago when I began cycling again after not cycling for the past 20 years. I live in an area where I can't go anywhere without hitting hills in one direction or the other. I decided that I needed to build up some leg muscles before attempting to ride around my neighborhood again. I purchased a used indoor cycle trainer and began doing indoor training sessions I found on YouTube. Did training sessions 3 or 4 times per week for 4 weeks. It was hard work, but it paid off in greatly improving my fitness level quickly and I lost 10 lbs as well. Now that the weather is nice, I'm out riding in my neighborhood and enjoying the weather and scenery. Still working on improving my fitness.

The advantage of training indoors is that you can easily control the level of effort and duration. You don't have to worry about not being able to get back home. You can push yourself and know you can stop at any point. There's no wasted time either, so you can get a lot of work in in a short period of time. Maybe something for you to think about. The downside is that you're stuck inside which can be boring. Following a YouTube video or something like Zwift to keep your attention can help with that.

Keep at it and improvement will come.

Mark