View Single Post
Old 07-01-19, 11:32 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
I've had both on different trikes. One is a Greenspeed GTO with three 406 wheels. I'd agree that the wheels are practically bulletproof when it comes to their ability to survive abuse but I don't knowingly abuse my trikes. The other is a Catrike 700 and yes it has wheel flex. No, I can't go over a 10" drop and land on the rear wheel with no damage to the wheel (did that accidentally on the GTO). The advantage to larger rear wheels is a higher gear range. My first trike with standard gearing and 20" drive wheel was 19 to 98 gear inches for the gear range. The GTO with Sram Dual-Drive and Schlump Mountain Drive is 14 to 132 GI. The Catrike 700 is 21.9 to 124.2 GI and that is without any internal gear hubs. I prefer standard gearing (no internal hubs) so chose the larger wheel for my current trike. I don't even notice the wheel flex when I turn sharply. It is behind me and out of view so, what does it matter?