Old 07-12-19, 10:43 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
Throughout the year there are many sanctioned/organized rides that take place. They all typically have a $ fee to attend, & some put in their rules/requirements that may differ from others.

Of those events that you scroll through, hear about or just come across; what particularly in those rules or requirements is it that would make you shy away from pulling the trigger in attending the event?

Some examples could be: Age limit, passport required, type of bicycle required, sponsorship the event uses, safety, tobacco use, etc etc..
Distance from home is a limiting factor for me. Anything greater than over about 100 miles takes too much time, and may have to be a weekend rather than one-day event.

Many organized tours of a few to several days duration offer camping facilities, and I am just not into that on a precious vacation time, and organizing my own accomodations is too much hassle and uncertainty. For example the Great Ohio Bicycle Tour (GOBA) used to offer a motel package, but now they just provide lists of area facilities by day for you to contact.

However, I have been an enthusiastic participant in organized rides as part of previously held, informally arranged “Annual Fifty-Plus Forum Rides” (link)
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
The concept of a Fifty-Plus Annual Ride began with the first in 2009 prompted by @DnvrFox and a gathering of 50+ cyclists in Colorado to ride various routes. @tsl suggested Watkins Glen for a second one. IMO that boosted the idea for subsequent Rides. Watkins Glen was an organized weekend event held at a campground, so we were all together to socialize and ride supported routes.

Subsequently, a Fifty-Plus subscriber would start a thread, and various others would make their suggestions for geographically varied events. Usually one site emerged as the One. Many more subscribers expressed interest than eventually showed up.

Furthermore, we all stayed at different locations by our own arrangements, but tried to meet up socially before or after the Ride, all as described in Chronicles of the Annual 50+ Rides (link). …

For myself, I have traveled hundreds of miles to a few of the Annual Rides…

My own personal rewards:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
Drive bike to riding location”

For those Rides, the draw besides the new scenery was meeting other BF subscribers.
BTW, those organized rides we "glommed onto" were not charity rides, so registration was pretty inexpensive.