Old 07-16-19, 04:37 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I've wondered if the difference is based on original dirt drop bars versus new gravel flare bars. They are different in shape(though most all these style bars are different from one another) and maybe that difference in shape is why people set them up differently?
Or maybe it's really just because some salsa blogger once mentioned years ago that he likes his bars at an angle, so that's how many set their bikes up(with even more angle) due to influence and direction?
The original dirt drop bars (made by Nitto, rebranded by WTB and Specialized with slight variations) were invented before the STI shifter era, meaning before brake lever bodies became wide enough that people started riding on the hoods as a primary position. They were designed to be set up like the pic below for a wider stance, more grip area on the bars, and more leverage on the brake levers. I think when the design made a comeback a few years later thanks to Salsa and others, riders were so used to riding on STI levers on the hoods that they just started setting up the bar to be able to do that, even though it totally kills the brilliance of the original design.

https://www.cxmagazine.com/wp-conten...ic-rumpf_1.jpg

I'd say a better design for modern brake levers is something like the Soma Condor bars. The Soma design allows you to ride in any of the positions (tops, hoods, drops) comfortably and doesn't stretch the rider out just to reach one of them.