View Single Post
Old 07-01-23, 06:47 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Every saddle has a slightly different sweet spot for my butt, meaning how far back on that particular saddle do I find myself sitting? I get my fore-and-aft position by the balance method: can I lift my hands off the bars briefly without sliding forward on the saddle? I.e., I don't measure unless I'm using the same saddle on more than one bike.

I find I am more comfortable on long rides if I'm more stretched out than you are. When riding with horizontal forearms, I like my elbows to be just ahead of my knees. For my body geometry, that happens to be when my upper arms make a right angle with my torso, so quite a bit more reach than you have. You might experiment with considerably longer stems than you have now, see how that works for you. I feel most comfortable with a 30mm setback post (Velo Orange) and my Selle Italia saddle almost all the way back on the rails. I use a road bike bar with drops and brifters, which might make a difference. I like the varied hand positions which it provides. I spend a lot of time with the load on the side of my hands rather than my grip. Geezers tend to do relatively better on long rides.
https://velo-orange.com/collections/seatposts

My bike fit primer is here: https://www.bikeforums.net/21296948-post3.html
I'm the same way. My attitude is, my body wants to be in a certain place due to leverage in pedaling, my skeletal dimensions, my pedaling, et cetera, et cetera. My body tends to be where it likes to move best, and it is up to me to place the saddle and everything else where it supports my body in the best possible way. It other words my saddle setback will not move me backwards. Rather it will make it more or less comfortable when I ride in my natural setback position. It's up to me, my choice of components, and my orientation of components to find comfort while pedaling in my body's most effective position. At the same time, I'm responsible for the actual durability of components such as saddle rails.

Actually, Carb, I tend to carry hand pressure mainly on the sides as well! I guess it's because it helps me keep finger contact with the brake lever.
Likes For Road Fan: