Old 03-07-06, 04:34 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Only in the Mountain Bike Forum would you find people trying to find a way to bring dogs along on a ride. Most other cyclists spend their time trying to figure out how to get away from the little heathens. I for one, hate dogs when it comes to bikes.

It is a very dangerous notion to mix riding with dogs. Most cyclists and noncyclists would assume that a dog's bite is the biggest threat to a cyclist. However, I feel otherwise. A greater threat is the dog causing a crash. They do it every day. Last Summer we had a local cyclist wind up seriously hurt when a local county commissioner's dog charged and wrecked him on his road bike.

Think it won't happen with your dog? Think again. I remember hunting with my lab several years ago, when he nearly took my knees out. She was a sweet dog and we got along great. Sometimes she would get a bit wild when she started to scent birds. That is what happened one day, when she was running a bit out of control. She was running fast scenting on a trail coming directly at me. She was in her own world i guess, because i stepped into her path to get her to slow down. She never broke stride and hit me right in the legs at an estimated 10 to 15 mph. I was on my back in less than a second. I never imagined she would do that.

Think of what the consequences can be on a bike if your dog does something unpredictable. It can be very dangerous for not only you but any other riders in the area. Leave the damned dogs at home!