View Single Post
Old 07-11-20, 10:08 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by BromptonINrio
i always want to go africa and stay longer.
​​​​​​how about security?
As frequent, it is way better than the impression you might get reading stories from outside. Still you must apply common sense. I usually start on the way conservative side and then gradually expand as I get better in reading rules on the ground. Wherever you go, you meet people originating from outside of Africa who moved in, either to work some years or for good. If they can make it, you can make it too . Around more tourist places you will run into people who travel around Africa for months either individually or banding into groups that might form spontaneously during travel. Turkish Airlines sound like one preferred mode of transportation, then local buses, rented jeeps, etc. Yes, you encounter people making it on bikes too, for at least parts of travel.

By now I spent about 6 months total in Africa, usually 1 month per year, doing Tanzania, Rwanda, Senegal and some S Africa. The worst I had was being a target of a pickpocketing action at a road stop when I was looking for a ride. I have a bit of experience so I fended it of without a problem. Another was being a target of a swarm of kids between ages of 6 and 14, who started chasing me and reaching for my pockets. I was riding the Brompton uphill in a sand, so was not moving very quickly. Parents were working out od sight in the fields. I could fight off 5 kids, but maybe not 20, and if I hurt any one of them, the parents might try to lynch me. Fortunately I was getting closer to the top of the hill, the ground solidified and I could take off.

I made friends with people working on the other side of Rwandan border, in DR Congo areas that you read about in the context of guerilla warfare and ebola. They claimed that their life was quite normal. Parts of S Africa might be quite rough as you get the usual situation where people come from all around Africa in order to find jobs, but fail and turn to crime. Maybe you get similar situation in larger African cities. In the capital of Rwanda, Kigali, for one I already expanded to the level where I would go grocery shopping close to midnight, if I needed to, without problems.

A bike provides mobility and particular advantage when surfaces are rough, including ability to get quickly out of sticky situations. In addition it is an ice-breaker, especially with the small wheels, like a kid or a dog. People have no problem starting to chat with you, offer some kind of advice or help, etc.

Christmas Fest, German School in Kigali, Rwanda The fest is held in mid November so expats going home for Christmas can buy gifts for their family from local vendors at the market.

Befriended Motorcycle Repair Hub at the side of the road in Mbour, Senegal. The mechanics were leaving next day for the Grand Magal pilgrimage, the most important religious celebration of the year in Senegal.

Last edited by 2_i; 07-12-20 at 05:05 AM.
Likes For 2_i: