View Single Post
Old 07-19-20, 08:11 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by BromptonINrio
Are you a medic? medecin san frontier?
​​​​​
No, I teach. However, I do meet physicians there. When they come to work in DRC they might often fly into Rwanda and go over the border to Goma. With DRC being in a well poorer shape, they might come to shop for supplies to Rwanda over the weekend.

i always get many bad syories about ebola outbreak, about genocide i rwanda, about kidnaping and beheading in nigeria,othe nation nationals...
those west africa countries seems more ttoublesone.
Is it a harsh point of view? wrong? missing something?
​​​​​
This is like crimes in other areas - make an easiest story to report. The Rwandan genocide was obviously a tragedy of unbelievable proportions, particularly with the direct perpetrators being ordinary people. However, now it is already one generation away. Half of the population was born afterwards and the relevance of the genocide to everyday life well fades out, just like the relevance of the World Wars historically elsewhere.

The closer proximity of Europe to Western Africa corrupts it i some way in my view. In Eastern Africa you are more left to your own resources and need to work hard and solve problems using your own wits. In Western Africa it can be easier to cut corners by tapping European resources.

There is a huge bike tour that follows the nile and rift valley from egipt to south africa and is one of my dream tours.
others are silk road in asia, camino de santiago in france/spain, and carrete austral in chile.
​​​​​
Sounds good . During one of the bike excursions in Rwanda, in fact to the genocide churches, I came over a lazy river that was supposedly the longest feeder river for Lake Victoria. With this, its source was identified as the source of Nile. I normally have no time for long tours, but compensate with short ones on a folder or loan bike wherever I get thrown. I rode and hiked, in particular, some early stretches of the Silk Rd by Xian and Lanzhou. Today these areas are far more desert-like than they used to be when the Silk Rd was in use.
Likes For 2_i: