Old 01-16-07, 12:44 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,193 Times in 606 Posts
Originally Posted by Rural Roadie
Seems to me whats needed is a frameset more suited to the commuters needs.
Must have room for fenders, built in tabs to simplfy removal and replacement a plus, should clear Nokian studded tires.
Frame should be made of highly corosion resistant material, paint or coatings will wear through or hide corosian. My first choice would be a stainless steel, can still be painted to hide its value if needed. Rear dropouts should be the old style horizontal type with derailer hanger. Frame geometry should be near touring specs with long chainstays. Rear rack should be intergral and provide support for rear fender, tabs for mounting lights a real plus. Wiring should be pre-run though the frame for lights front and rear and work for either dynamo or battery setups. Itegral MR16 headlight housing as part of the headtube. I like 700C wheels but the case can be made for 559/26, if everything else is done right either can be a good choice with all the wheel and tire options out there.
I'dd let the buyer spec such things as drive train, handlebars, shifters and seat/saddle. Some will be happy to transfer the gruppo from "old trusty" that finally broke its frame, others will want a turn key bike. I think you market segment is the commuter or car free person who is looking for a frame with a long reliable service life that supports the items that allow them to be at work on time and ready to go with no worrys about getting home again.
Hmmmm -- not an exact fit, but getting pretty close!! I've been drooling over this for a couple weeks now: (sorry, don't know how to do linky thingies!) go to peterwhitecycles > tout-terrain bikes (from Ger.) > Silkroad. Structurally integrated stainless rack (and stainless dropouts/brazeons), etc. etc. Very intriguing; either Rohlhoff specific or derailleur geared -- if the latter, looks like this could be built up either as a very light/quick commuter, or as a heavier duty commuter/light tourer -- any configuration, extremely functional.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg

Last edited by badger1; 01-16-07 at 12:57 PM.