Old 01-16-07, 01:28 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by bikesdirect_com
I am very interested in commuting bikes. Of course, they take all forms. In England folding bikes with 20” wheels are popular. In Japan, the famous ‘shopping bike’ rules. Trekking style in France; Dutch type in --- well you get it.

But what do USA customers really like? We have several bikes that we sell to commuters; and I will post those below so that members can criticize them; I can learn a lot from what people do not like about our current bikes.

I think most U.S. commuters would choose a road-style bike, (slim tires, gears, etc), or maybe hybrids. Personally, I ride a converted Miyata fixed gear (14x44).

One note about the Mercier bike pictured above: I've seen that brand on eBay before, and almost bought one. That is before I found out that they're bascially knock-offs of an old French brand. The new Merciers (and Motobecane's) are fakes, essentially. Nice components, but cheap frames with pretty stickers on 'em. I'm sure they're decent rides, but I don't like the fake-factor. On eBay they're advertised as 'Lance Armstrong's first bike' and whatnot, but it isn't the same brand!!

Yes, I know Bianchi's aren't made in Italy anymore, but... just my $0.02

my race videos