View Single Post
Old 08-09-18, 08:39 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I would carry only Snickers bars if they didn't melt.
Peanut M&M's are a good treat to have along on long rides. The bag is easy to get in and out of a pocket, and they're easy and, more importantly not messy to eat, even one-handed.
I like the Almond ones even more, but they're not as easy to find. (every gas station, news stand and vending machine has peanut M&M's)
I tend to crash off of big doses of straight sugar pretty quickly, so the fat content of the nuts gives me a little more sustained energy.

I'll use the gummy chews as well, especially if it's hot. The fruit punch flavor Shot Bloks do a prety good job of getting the dust-and-sweat taste out of your mouth.

I tend to avoid 'gu' gels in general, as they tend to go through my system very quickly, so I need to make sure i'm no more than an hour's ride from a 'proper' bathroom.
I do carry a couple of them, though, one no-caffeine and one 100mg, in case i have a serious 'bonk' and need a last-ditch boost to get to an aid station / pickup point.

Usually, though, i try to stick with 'real' foods, oranges, bananas, 'whole ingredient' granola bars like Kashi and Kind bars, PBJ is good, but hard to pack, and hard to eat while rolling. And water. Lots of water. I usually down a bottle every 10 miles or so.