View Single Post
Old 10-25-17, 07:57 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scheibo
@nslckevin has won umpteen road, track, TT and hill climbing national championships. i think he's probably in the best position to determine what the 'worth' of each of his stars and stripes jerseys.
i think he's probably the only one who could say what they mean to him, but i'm not sure that he is the one who could say, objectively, which one is most difficult for a few reasons:
a) he might have many jerseys or have participated in a bunch of events, but he hasn't done them all.
b) i don't think ANYONE could really make a definitive statement on difficulty. competition varies from year to year, as do courses and even weather conditions. a person who doesn't handle extreme heat as well as another could have a different impression.

what is "hard"? is it suffering like a dog for hours in a break harder than a sprinter using as little energy as possible until the final 150m or using every tactical trick in the book to keep from getting dropped from the lead group? the answer given probably depends on a rider's physiology.

it's subjective and highly personal.

naturally, with this being a forum focused on road racing it makes complete sense that its members would value that jersey more.
has anyone said which is more important? i saw a comment from @Doge that the pro HC -- raced as a RR not an ITT -- was not as worthy as the pro RR, but other than @nslckevin's comment i didn't notice anyone else comment either way. i might have missed it.

either way, i think any national championships win is kind of a big accomplishment.
i respect the training and efforts.

there are some categories and events that draw 1 or 2 participants.

i don't think it 'degrades' the value of the pro jersey to give it to amateurs.
i didn't see that point made. i might have missed it.

if USAC is using it as a money grab so be it. i dont think the jersey sales are that lucrative anyway.
the money grab is knowing that people want to chase the jerseys; therefore, the events as a whole tend to draw higher numbers across all categories collectively, and there is no prize money.

it's not about jersey *sales*.

curious how we got here from drugs?
a months-old post was resurrected, but i'm guessing it was about some amateur doper who won a national championship, and someone commented on how silly that is.