Old 10-26-17, 04:41 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
has anyone said which is more important? i saw a comment from @Doge that the pro HC -- raced as a RR not an ITT -- was not as worthy* as the pro RR, but other than @nslckevin's comment i didn't notice anyone else comment either way. i might have missed it.
Some overlap on the Wattercooler thread. Group riders by speed, not "category".

Some (the two I've seen) HC races are road races... And therefore comparing times from different groups, on Strava or otherwise makes little sense. Pikes Peak - Daniel was marking his guy and planning to pass on a decent (there was one), then do an out of the saddle attack and hold the gap. That is what was done. As PP did not allow us to drive and film, I only have reports. Maybe other HCs are TTs. The 2 I've been to were not.

Here is one I could video with many of the same top 10 as PP, in different order of finish. It was cat and mouse most the way, then at the end, leaders solo.

*I'm not going to hit the Worthy part other than re-stating that reducing O2 a lot changes things a lot. It is very unlike other races and it is less painful than a lower altitude race as reported by others. It took very little to recover from as there was not enough O2 to drive the body to any extreme. Daniel was in a parade and marching 3-4 hours the day before and doing survival training the week before. Normally that would have mattered a whole bunch. I don't know if it mattered at all - maybe a place based on where 4th was. Without going into detail, the lower altitude performance is different when the same riders show up. PP favors lower mass riders. Some of these same riders are dropped quickly at lower altitude. The KOM holder is older now, but generally not in the front group in the lower 7,000ft rides. That has nothing to do with who is and who is not worthy, rather, it depends. And Pikes Peak is unique in all the world as a Road Race.