SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
That makes no sense. "Inteference" is almost the definition of preload.
Interference is when there is binding. Snug to the point that the adjustment is interfering with efficient operation. That is the definition of too much, or incorrect, or poorly adjusted preload.

Correct preload is exactly what it says. Before load. Peload does not mean loaded or tight. It simply means that clearances have been adjusted out.

Correct Preload = zero play. Eliminating clearances is the literal definition of being preloaded.

Correct Preload does not = tight/binding/interfering.

I agree with SKF here, and it sounds like a bicycle application to me. We don't want wobbly wheels or headsets. And we certainly want slopless crank operation.

If a high degree
of stiffness is required, light preload can
be suitable
I agree here as well, and this sounds a lot like a bicycle application too.

A light preload may also be required when
there is a very light or no external load on the
bearing in operation.
What Im getting at is that yeah, preload is "a thing", but none of the applications that require actual preload......
Actual preload is a matter of degrees, ranging from light (and it's many benefits) to excessive and it's destructive consequences.

When we buy and install a brand new cartridge bottom bracket it has zero play. That is because it has been set with a light preload at the factory. Later in it's service life the bottom bracket will exhibit some play or slop. It is worn and that has caused a loss of it's preload. AKA it's toast.

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 12-07-17 at 01:22 PM.