Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
That is good solid common sense combined with advanced post-graduate Old School study and modern kit.
Being strong across the cadence range is a good thing then/now but it takes dedicated work, or winning the genetic lottery.

The modern TT machine is a marvel of aerodynamics and bio-mechanics but it must take considerable adaptation to be able to hold a proper position while putting out big power, high speed and being firmly in control for the duration of the event. ( If someone would let my local Triathletes know that the latter is a requirement for operating a bicycle on the open public roads I would appreciate it.) Time and effort well spent yesterday out on the TT bike instead of dreadful Sisyphean indoor struggles with a virtual boulder and hill.

I wonder how fast Beryl Burton would have be able to have gone on a modern TT machine? Very, very Fast no doubt.

-Bandera
I would think so as well. Also, we learned in a wheel thread on the road forum from a wheel salesman that equipment does not make any difference and the best racer wins. Maybe I will just start riding time trials Merckx style on traditional round tube steel frames, gonzo spoke count wheels with a leather helmet and toe clips and straps with metal cleat nailed to the bottom of my shoes. I used to have the Victoria shoes with wooden soles that I had to nail cleats on the bottom.