View Single Post
Old 05-02-19, 08:10 PM
EGBigelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
Some interesting 650b bikes, the Devinci Cartier although that has a single crankset. The 650b Kona Dew has a triple crankset.
If you insist on 700c wheels, bikes like the Norco Indie 3 might do (larger tires than usual).

EDIT: I almost forgot the KHS Urban X which has a backrack and fenders standard, plus triple crankset.
I'd like something with 650b wheels, or something that's 650b compatible. I was actually looking into a Giant Talon 3 (29" wheel version). I know it's a mountain bike, but it's pretty much like the Giant Roam or Trek DS will more suspension travel and fatter tires. I think that might make a great all arounder. I can do everything I want to do, include riding decent distances with those big tires, and it's only $540.

Originally Posted by zaxmalloy
It's hard to beat the Giant Escape as an all-around "neighborhood" or commuter bike. It does well on pavement and limestone gravel. It fits all manner of fenders, tires and racks. They tend to be well spec'd for the $. You can usually find a deal on one but they also retain resale value. Last year I replaced a 2014 Escape that was bent all out of shape when I was hit by a car in 2017 with a 2018 LBS Escape 2 Rental Fleet sell off model for under $225. Yet I see them sell on Craigslist for more $.

I'm not here to say it's 'better' than any of the other suggestions and since it was my first real 'adult' bike I have a definite prejudice in it's favor. It's not a racer, it's not an all day bike and you'd be a fool to take it on a singletrack. But as a "throw my leg over the top tube and let's see where the ride takes us" bike, it works.

YMMV
I like the Escape. That's my top choice for a non suspension bike. And you're right, great value for the money. I like that about Giant.