Old 05-03-19, 05:19 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by EGBigelo
I'd like something with 650b wheels, or something that's 650b compatible.
Note that most modern bikes with disc brakes can be converted. I've done this with my Roam. The large size frame fit me well, but standover is just a little tight. And that was with the stock 38mm tires. That worsened when I fitted the 2" 29er tires on it. I like wide tires so to make the bike fit better for me (rather than selling it), I bought a set of 650b wheels. I currently have Vittoria Terreno Zero tires on it (47mm wide) that I bought on clearance and they're really fast.

The notional tire diameter with the stock 38-622 is 698mm, and is 678mm with the 47-584 tires. So I've lost 20mm in overall tire diameter, or 10mm in radius, and the whole bike including the bottom bracket is 10mm lower than stock, which is a good move for me.

It probably doesn't make financial sense to buy a new 700c bike with the intention of spending more money to convert to 650b, but if you run across a used 700c hybrid that you otherwise like (that has disc brakes), then 650b wheels might be just the ticket for you.