Old 07-22-19, 07:44 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
J

Actually NONE of those are marketed as 27.5+. All but two are marketed as 27.5, and the remaining two (Spearfish and 429) as 29ers that can take 27.5 Plus.
  • Pivot Mach 4, Mach 5.5 (and also Mach 6 , and "standard" Firebird) are all 27.5, not 27.5 plus. None of them will even clear plus tires.
  • Santa Cruz Bronson (and 5010) are both built around 27.5 though they can clear 2.8s. Several built kits come with 2.3s.
  • Mojos comes stock with 2.6s. So sort of in between plus and standard. 2.3s would work fine with that if that is how you roll.
  • Giant Reign (along with many other offerings from Giant) is 27.5, not plus. It is designed for 2.3-2.8.
  • Salsa Rustler is designed for tires 2.3-2.8.

Yes, some of these CAN clear 2.8s, but that is not what they are built around.

27.5 is not dead and is unlikely to die, even if it becomes less of the market share.
I stand corrected for the Pivots, should have known this since I ride a 429SL, lol

Do you know if they changed the molds to accommodate the 2.8 tires? I'm pretty sure the older 5010s and Bronsons my friends ride can't stuff in a 2.8 or even a 2.6
The websites clearly sell the bikes abilities to take a 27.5+ even it they are only 2.8 vs 3.0 or larger

As for 27.5 HT, they have their place. Not everyone can ride or wants to ride a 29r wheel. I sometimes ride with a 5 foot on a good day female and she would have trouble with a bike with larger diameter wheels.
Choices out there are very limited and unfortunately to lower end models. Guess their market demographics are not her unless she want to spend a lot more on a full suspension