View Single Post
Old 08-02-19, 06:18 PM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Just saw this thread. Yikes, close call. So glad you didn't bite it.

Disc brakes were a primary necessity when I decided to build up a set of carbon wheels for our tandem. IMO, rim brakes should never be used with carbon wheels unless for a specialty bike meant for flatter races, TT, etc. Just one of those failures waiting to happen. Before we got our full disc tandem, Will Von Kaenel kind of melted his front ENVE rim, so that was a clear sign not to go there.

FWIW, we are now using the Ultegra hydro Di2 levers with the older XT level rs785 2 piston calipers and metallic pads (pulls more heat out of the rotors than resin pads). I replaced the BH59 hose with BH90 and now happy with the firmer brake feel and plenty of lever pressure... enough to lock up the rear if I really crank down on it. Modulation is good. It isn't required to use the Shimano disc rotors, but we do... 180mm front/rear is enough for most riding. Last week I really laid into the brakes a few times coming down a long, very steep and winding road with sketchy surface and blind corners.... just slighty toasted the rotors enough to warp a little (fixed afterward) and needed a slight deburring on the edges. On our mtn tandem, we are running Hope rotors.

Anyway, hoping you get this sorted and figure out a safer means of travel.

Cheers.