View Single Post
Old 08-16-19, 04:48 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
OK, so I got my inflator (XLAB) and a 12-pack of 16g threaded CO2 cartridges. This is my first foray into "pump-less" inflators so I have a few questions. 1) I'm strictly a road cyclist, and my bikes all have 700c x 25 tires. How many CO2 cartridges are recommended to take along? 2) My hope is to NOT have to carry a pump with me on rides. Are these systems reliable enough for that? And 3) Is it recommended to keep the cartridge and inflator separated until needed, or should I go ahead and keep a cartridge screwed into the inflator? (I'm thinking it's probably better to do the former.)

Dan
1. Take at least 2 cartridges. I've been using CO2 for at least 20 years and I've used 2 cartridges on a single ride twice. One time I took out both front and rear on the same object, the second time I didn't get the object that caused the puncture out of the tire.
2. If you have a good system AND know how to use it they are plenty reliable. Try it at least once at home, more if you feel you need to too be comfortable using it on the road.
3. Keep the inflator and cartridge separate until you need to use them, unless it is designed to hold the cartridge with so it can't be punctured by the inflator like this GI unit. I can't fit the cartridge with the inflator attached in my cycling bag so that solves that problem.

Another hint - if you use threaded cartridges put a short piece of tape around the threads. I've had cartridges and tubes it the bag so long that the threads on the cartridge wore a hole in the spare tube. Not fun to find when you go to fix a flat.
Likes For RGMN: