View Single Post
Old 09-06-19, 09:57 AM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
Internet order bikes (ie Amazon, Firmstrong, etc) seem decent quality, but I always notice that a "beginner" bike wrench is going to be a little challenged (Fit, true, tune, etc)

I have recently bought via mail order both a Firmstrong and Raleigh cruisers. Both needed the steerer tubes honed. Both needed at least one wheel trued. Both needed the front hub cones loosened. The Raleigh needed the rear hub cones loosened and the axle shimmed to take the stress off the brake arm. The Firmstrong needed the bottom bracket loosened.

Again the material quality is good, but self-assembly isn't as straight forward as one would expect.

Anything bought at a bike shop should have these issues already worked out prior to delivery or placement on the showroom floor.

REI carries a limited line of Electra. They have a 365 day return policy too. The slight forward crank thing is good and bad, depending on one's knees.

I prefer 3 speed over single speed or 7 speed.
I feel 7 speeds are overkill and ruin the aesthetic of simplicity.. And a 3 speed is like a single speed with coaster brake, but a low gear for over-crossings and a high gear for picking up the pace on a long stretch.

Shimano Nexus 3 speeds have wider dropouts than single speed coasters. Those frames also have cable guides brazed on for clean lines.

Also, double coil springs are better on the saddles than single coil (per side)

Felt makes some cool, quality cruisers too.