Old 02-11-21, 09:24 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Budget rims beyond 25mm wide

As the post says. I'm trying and failing to do a very modest upgrade to my 2015 Xcaliber

The 17mm internal width Bont rims it came with fit the 2.2's but ride funny. Not only that, if I try to go tubeless, the valve is in the way of the bead, it's possible but tricky. I would even like to experiment with 2.4 but not on these wheels.

All I want is wider rims. This bike isnt worth dropping tons of money on. I'd be perfectly pleased to get some wider rims and rebuild on my existing hubs, or get a new wheelset depending on what I find, sometimes that's cheaper.

So at the top of my list is the Alex MD30. It's only $40 for the 29" and I honestly can't think of a fault considering my intended use. It's unavailable as far as I can tell, the shop can't order it and I can't find it online.

Other options are pre built wheels from Bike Island. I think 25mm is the widest there though. $200 is a good price for low end wheels, sure, but they're still a little narrow with junk hubs and tires I don't want.

The local recyclery didn't have anything.

I'm striking out.

I want 29" rims with a 28-32 (approximately) internal width at $70 or less per rim. Not too worried about weight. Will definitely be run tubeless though.Do I have any options?
​​​​​