Old 09-17-20, 01:49 PM
Ess4Bee

Bikes: 1985 Club Fuji, 199x Ciocc EL-OS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Raleigh Professional Mk IV -- Will I fit it?

So here I am looking for a new bike -- something nice on a budget -- when I come across a fixer-upper 22.5'' 1975 Raleigh Professional. It has a little bit of surface rust and is missing some of its original Campy parts, but it looks alright in the pictures. The question though is: Will I fit it? I know that the best answer is to just check it out, but I live in a city and calling in a favor to have a friend drive me 1+ hour each way for a bike that might not fit isn't ideal, especially during the pandemic. I've also never owned a road bike before! My previous bike was a Trek 700 Multi-track that had a very hard life before I got it.

I'm just a hair under 6' tall with a 33.5'' cycling inseam. According to the internet look up tables, I would need a 58cm or 23''. Some folks on this forum might even suggest a 59cm. However, according to the Competitive Cyclist bike fit calculator, a French Fit for me would be 57.4-57.8cm and a Competitive Fit would be 56.2-56.6cm. I've read every forum post on there about the bike, but I really wanted to ask directly if anyone with this particular bike and size combination had any advice.

Of course whether or not it's a good idea for me to buy this bike is a totally separate question!