burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
Yes, you are right. As a person who does not golf, I simply chose the wrong number. But you are right. I was trying to compare recreational cycling with recreational participation in other sports that I believe require more practice and skill development.
Gotcha. Now that I'm on board, I'll play.

First we've got to pick sports to compare at the rec level, and define the rec level for them.

Shall we say golf? What handicap on what distance course or what tee-boxes?

For cycling, what is recreational? Let's pick the highest form of recreational from the following:
-greenway cruiser for 30min twice a week
-C-group critical mass brewery rider
-B-group rider......way under 20mph and pretty solid gaps, generous stops to eat/drink, take the turns pretty slow
-A-group rider.....19-20mph depending on elevation, tight formation, drink/eat on the move, take turns "at speed" but not breakneck,
-"Tuesday night worlds" group rider......over 20mph for sure, really tight, eat/drink/change/pee on the move, take turns at full speed, advanced rotations or workout groups and things like working an echelon, bunny hop obstacles,
-NO racers though.

Then, let's move on from there. Cause then you can guess at the skills and hours per week the people dedicate.