View Single Post
Old 03-05-15, 05:26 PM
TrekkingMitten
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the links. I will be printing couple parts soon. Just one question. How durable are these printed items comparing to stuff bought at the store? What to look for? The last thing I need is to lose my expensive camera or light due to the failure of the printed holder.

Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
@Kev - There are, just need to search a bit and read a lot of reviews, but for one off parts, there are networks of local printers and places like Shapeways that will print it for you after you design it. Here are a couple of examples:
  • 3D Hubs - They are local people with 3D printers that will print your stuff for you, you can even get stuff the same day. They usually tell you what prniter they have, what type and color filament they use and how long it will take as well as the price to print. The method usually employed is FDM, small streams of melted plastic layered on top of each other.
  • MakeXYZ - They are like a Yelp for local 3D printers. Find a printer, read the reviews, send them a file, pick up your part.
  • Shapeways - Shapeways is a commercial 3D printer that will print you stuff in 10-14 days, using primarily nylon, but they also have other materials. Shapeways uses a printing method called SLS, laser sintering of nylon layer by layer.

@gecho - It was a rough sketch, but I did take into account the length of the actual Planet Bike mount. I used my own GoPro waterproof case as a guide. It should be long enough if you have a lot of seatpost showing. Its a 10 minute job to rotate the arm 180° so that the camera points down.