It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by bertinjim
Senrab62-

Looks like a 1957-58 Carlton road/path frameset. These were multi-purpose framesets used for grass track, velodrome, time trials and off season fixed gear training or commuting. It has the round blades of a track fork with the drilling for a single front brake (I believe the rear bridge is undrilled.) The decals shown are late 70s or 1980 in period so it's probable that the frameset has been repainted.I believe it is the Road Track model about half way down the catalogue page here. The decals from the 1957-58 period are much nicer. H. Lloyds in the UK has a very wide range and you can see them here. There is a Facebook page called Carlton Cycles of Worksop that deals with Carltons and you might want to join and post - there are a lot of knowledgeable enthusiasts there as well.Good luck with the resto.
Thanks for the links! I too assumed it was a RT model based on the eyelets and fork.

The decals look MUCH better than the block Carlton decals. I'm going to do some research on what the original decal setup would have looked like.

Some things to note: rear dropouts/track ends or whatever you prefer to call them are extraordinary. Beefy and even after 50-60+ years they show little in the way or wear or neglect. Super beefy.

Frameset is very light for it's age in my opinion. No weight now but will ask my buddy to use his scale to get an accurate measurement. Chain and seat stays are pretty substantial as previously mentioned.

Ride quality was mentioned as being rough or uncomfortable, but the angles seem pretty laxed to me. The head tube is a little shorter than what I am accustomed to, but doubt the rear will be stiffer than a triple triangle track frame I ride regularly.

As I mentioned before, I genuinely appreciate the forum. Researching, reading, learning, admiring, and finding out about cycling is easy and fun due to this platform. You guys are the best.

I'm sure I don't want to know, but any idea on where or how much for enamel recoating? Might not be feasible, but I am trying to get an idea of how much I am looking at for full period correct vs getting it built well enough to ride expense.