Old 10-24-18, 07:48 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
One thing I just thought of to keep in mind: you're 61 and overweight. Make sure you ease back into things. You're not 20 or even 40 anymore. If in doubt, err on the side of caution and live to train another day.
Go to your Dr and get a full workup, then the cardiologist for a stress test. Don't chance it.

As for advice, I would NOT suggest hill repeats. That's for fit cyclists looking to get even better. And riding to lose weight does work. Just don't eat more because you are burning more. Doing both, riding a lot and eating less, will do wonders. Start tracking yourself, it sounds like you already have an HR monitor. Use RidewithGPS, Strava, or some other software to track your miles AND your calorie burn. Get some kind of indoor trainer and use it during the Portland rainy season. Pick an app for training.

While I was never 280 lbs, I did lose 35 pounds in the last year doing all of these things. It'll work, but don't expect miracles either. You won't lose 20 pounds in a week or even a month. But once you start losing a few, then a few more, you'll be hooked and want to see it continue.