avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
This will be our first bike tour. The hubby was skeptical about any kind of tour that would require him to get on the bike every day whether he felt like it or not because you have to get to the next place. So we agreed on a 2 -day trip with one overnight along the Loire a velo in France. At first we had looked at a package that included the bike rental, hotel, breakfast, maps/GPS and luggage transport. But the price seemed awfully high when we considered what a hotel in the town they were planning to put us actually costs. And if we can't carry enough gear for one overnight with us, then what are we even doing? So we booked our own hotel, and will just rent the bikes and panniers from the shop that was putting the tour together. The route seems to be pretty well established. The package didn't include any wine tastings, meals or admission to the chateaux. So what were we paying them for? The rest of the trip will be driving around in France, so we can leave most of our luggage locked in the car and just take what we need for the overnight with us on the bikes. We're not camping so don't need much gear. And the actual bike part seems pretty tame - 36 km the first day and 38 the second. Mostly flat terrain. As long as it doesn't pour rain, I think we'll be fine.
Wine tastings are normally free in France, but food (naturally) isn't. Check the supermarkets, too, the fruit and veggies will be fresh, but start early, as, by about midday, there isn't much that hasn't been punched or prodded to check for quality. There are lots of local markets, too, the locals will be able to tell you on what day. Finally, wine isn't expensive. It is still the case, though, that the region will tell you the grape, which may not be marked on the bottle. Chateaus may be free, although most are not.

Personally, I found the Da Vinci house the most interesting of the chateaus simply because of that link. Anyway, I do hope you enjoy yourselves, and, who knows, you may decide to leave the car behind