View Single Post
Old 04-24-19, 02:59 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
I turned of to a road that sign said 'road closed'. No big deal, I've ridden thru there several times the last few weeks- an intersection, 1/2mile ahead washed out & they were fixin it. So bout 1/4 mile in, some unrelated construction guys were working ie standing around doin nothin. One guy said if I was caught going thru road closed they would fine me $250 & confiscate my bike. I rode ahead, walked thru construction site, & finished my ride; nothing happened. Is what the guy said true? Could they, & why would they, confiscate my bike? What's wrong w/walking thru a construction site? Bout walking around it?
I've never heard of a law allowing confiscation of a bicycle as punishment for failing to obey a traffic sign. Sounds like BS to me, but you should probably check your local laws. I assume that you could be subject to a fine if you ride on a closed road.

There are many roads around me that are periodically closed. Most of the time it is OK to ride a bike through (e.g. Harriman park, which closes some roads between Nov. 1 and April because they don't clear the snow), sometimes it's not OK (roads closed due to some event or accident, cops make you go around), sometimes you can get through but it isn't smart (playing with moving construction equipment, potential rock falls, etc.).

----------