View Single Post
Old 06-18-19, 10:32 AM
cyclingman1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't think this forum is intended only for bike part gurus, expert mechanics, or the like. I had/have a problem, made some minimal observations, and posted. There was/is no implication of being an expert on bikes or being capable or wanting to argue with aforementioned bike gurus. I am/was simply looking for basic help.

There are no part numbers on the FD that are obvious. It says "Ultegra" on the cage and "Eclipse" on the clamp. I have not and am not going to disassemble the bike looking for part numbers. As far as cranks, I know they are 175mm and are 50/34. Yes, I tend to ride cross-chained: big CR and bigger sprockets, although not the largest. I also do that on my 10 speed Madone. Never hear a sound. My new-found mechanic says that one cannot get rid of all chain rub with my parts. Although, if I do a lot of shifting between CRs, most of the rub disappears. That is highly inconvenient because shifting to small CR necessitates a multiple shift in the rear to get the same gear ratio - a real PITA. The mechanic helped a little. Did 25 mi this morning with tolerable results. May still consider replacing 11 speed FD with 10 speed FD. I think it would work. My Madone is a 50/34 and the amount of lateral travel is the same for the FD.