View Single Post
Old 09-18-19, 06:48 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
No pics, but my 1st 10-speed was a Gitane Gran Sport in 1971. Came with metallic blue fenders to match the bike, depressed ridge down the center in silver (foil?). Beautifully made. Bike was home from taking delivery perhaps 10 minutes, fenders came off in the middle of the living room (I was 15 at the time). Of course, I rode in the rain a lot and a sizable % of my clothing had "racing stripes" up the back...
Ah yes, the "regrettable sin" of our youth. How quick we were to get rid of those damned things when new. And how willing we would be to sell our children off today to find a clean set to put back on the bike.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)