Old 12-08-19, 08:20 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Well, I got my Sunday ride done. Moderately fast group ride, a bit of rolling with a short climb in the middle along a segment I like to call Cow Dung Land (for obvious reasons). Stayed on the big ring for most of the ride except for the Cow Dung Land climb, no problems keeping up with the group and I think I have a better chain line with the 48 than with the 53. Spinning uphill with the 32 felt pretty good, even managed to get a new PR on the segment (though admittedly may be placebo effect... we'll see how it feels couple of months down the road...).

Two downsides though... first one is definitely no cross-chaining. Either big-big or small-small will result in chain rub on the FD. Not really a biggie, since I tend to avoid that kind of extreme combination anyway.

Second downside... got a flat on the rear tyre during the ride. I typically shift down to small-small to make it easier to dismount, and later remount the tyre but I think it is easier for the chain to drop on the 32? I lay the bike down on its (non-drive) side while changing the tube, didn't really pay attention to the chain until after remounting the tyre and noticed it dropped off the front ring. But maybe this is just a one-off? We'll see couple of months down the road (if I get a flat again... damn wire or staple or whatever that crap was!!)

Last edited by atwl77; 12-08-19 at 08:24 PM.